Photography and simple typography is what we based the visual design around. We were lucky to have a vault of great photography of real students and campus scenes. The wide-screen banners were tricky for really large work stations. But we tried to balance the story with different kinds of photos.
I wanted the grid to be a little more refined than default stacking at small sizes. For tiles I tried to only choose photos that were somewhat abstract and could be used as background for text and look okay at small sizes. I wanted the image to clearly communicate what it was for.
What I learned
A lot of time needs to be allowed for responsive sizing and testing and building in the browser. I switched my design workflow to more work in the browser. A long iteration cycle in Photoshop or Illustrator seemed to slow the momentum. So much learning comes in the browser sizing behavior.